Project Home Page
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births, marriages, and deaths.
Characteristics of This Project
- This project includes records of births, marriages, and deaths.
- Records are on cards.
- Each image usually has one side of a card.
- There are up to 20 images per batch, and a batch may include all three record types.
Description of the Records
- Records were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- There are many different styles of preprinted cards. Search each card carefully to find the information for the various fields to be indexed.
- The front of each card generally has most of the information to be indexed, and all information for that record is to be indexed with that image.
- The back of a card may have information about the town and state where the event was registered. View the previous or next image to see this information, but index it with the image of the front of the card.
- Index the back of cards as No Extractable Data Image.
- There are no restrictions associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch... button, and select this project name from the list. You may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window to see the project name on the list.