Project-Specific Indexing Instructions
Number of Records per Image:
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. However, this project will contain images with more records per image. You will need to adjust the number of data entry lines to match the number of records on the image. To do this:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the desired number.
- To apply this number to all images, click the Apply to all images box.
- Click OK.
- Upon completion of each image a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to this image. Click No.
When a married woman is recorded and her surname is not listed but her husband's surname is, index the husband's surname in the Deceased's Family Name field.
When an unmarried woman is recorded and her surname is not listed but her father's surname is, index the father's surname in the Deceased's Family Name field.
- The entry number is located in one of the two far left columns of the register. If the record is for a male the number would be recorded in the first column. If the record is for a female, the number would be recorded in the second column.
- The page number is located at the top of the register in either the top right corner.
- The patronymic name is usually listed after the given name. The patronymic will be indexed in a separate field from the given name and surname fields.
- If the Cyrillic characters are not showing correctly on your monitor, you will need to open your internet browser and select View, then Encoding, and then Unicode (UTF-8), Or Auto-Select, and then Refresh. You might have to do this more than once.
Handwriting Helps: These records are handwritten. It may be helpful to view this link for help in deciphering challenging words: