Project Indexing Instructions
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What Is Unique about This Project
- For this project, you will index many types of service record cards.
- Many of the cards that you will be indexing will not contain all the fields. Some fields are unique to certain cards.
- Some people listed in this project were known by more than one name. If an additional name, such as alias or an army name, was listed for an individual, type the word Or between each name.
- If the clerk used quotation marks or parentheses to indicate an alias or other name, do not include the parentheses or quotation marks when you index the name.
- For example, if an individual’s name is listed as "Clay Baker, Henry C Baker, also shown as H Clay Baker," you would type:
- Given Name: Clay or Henry C or H Clay
- Surname: Baker
Highlighting and Using the Ruler
- Because of the different forms found in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- You can move the ruler and adjust its width. To do this:
- Position the mouse pointer over the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a four-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button while you move your mouse to drag the ruler to a new location on the screen.
- To adjust the width of the ruler, position the mouse pointer at the top or bottom edge of the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a two-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button, and then move your mouse up or down to change the width of the ruler.