Project Home Page
About This Project
State censuses were taken in New York every ten years, beginning in 1795. This project is to create an index for the 1865 state census. The census contains information about families and individuals residing in New York on June 1, 1865.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- This census was handwritten, often on preprinted forms.
- Each batch contains one image.
- Most documents are census forms.
- Each census page usually includes from 45 up to 90 records.
- Many images show two census pages.
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published. The digital images will be accessible to active FamilySearch account holders once an authentication system is put in place on Record Search. Until authentication is available, the images will not be accessible.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.