Project Home Page
About This Project
- This card index for the 1905 Iowa state census contains rich information about Iowa residents, including marital status, birthplace of parents, home or farm ownership, citizenship, years in the United States and Iowa, and military service in Civil, Mexican, and Spanish Wars. This project does not include census schedules. The information comes from cards that were filled out for each inhabitant.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign into the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- Census information was handwritten on preprinted cards.
- Each batch contains 20 images.
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.