Project Home Page
This collection includes wills, codicils, and related documents from all 55 counties of West Virginia, covering the years 1756 to 1971. For more information about the collection, click here.
Many kinds of documents are included in the collection, but the only documents that will be indexed in this project are the pages of wills or codicils on which the name of the testator first appears. Additional pages of wills and codicils and all other types of documents (inventories, appraisements, property information, court probate documents, and so on) will not be indexed. Any of these additional documents should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- All records are will and probate records.
- Some records were handwritten, and some were typed.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Images may include just one record or several records.
- No restrictions are associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.