US, Virginia, Richmond—Birth Index, 1870–1912
Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is a collection of birth index cards from county courthouses in the state of Virginia.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- This project consists of Rolodex type cards in alphabetical order by surnames.
- Records were typically typed on preprinted cards.
- Batches contain up to 15 images, with one record per image.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- The general public can freely access the completed index once the collection is published. Active FamilySearch account holders can access the digital images once an authentication system is put in place on Record Search. Until authentication is available, the images will not be accessible.