Project Home Page
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Description and Characteristics of This Project
- Veterans pension payment cards were maintained by the Bureau of Pensions and the Veterans Administration for recording payments made from 1907–1933.
- The collection includes several types of cards, each of which is stamped with one of these headings in bold, capital letters: Army Invalid, Army Widow, Army Minors, Army Dependent, Navy Invalid, Navy Widow, Navy Minors, and Navy Dependent.
- Each card has a history side and a ledger side, but they do not appear on the same image. You will index the history side of the card. Images of the ledger side will be marked as No Extractable Data Image.
- The various types of cards are almost identical. The history side of Invalid cards has the military history of the veteran. On Widow cards, the widow’s name replaces the veteran’s name, and the veteran’s name is recorded in the Name of Soldier field.
- A section on the Widow cards was used to record payments made to minors. If there were minors but no widow, a Minors card was used, listing one or more minors.
- The cards are in alphabetical order by the surname of the veteran or widow, beginning with American Indian names first under each letter of the alphabet.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image contains two cards.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- No restrictions are associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.