Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
- The indexed cards were usually filed in alphabetical order by surname.
- Index the primary or principal name only; do not index any other names that may appear on the card, such as the names of family members, clerks, or customs agents.
- Do not index titles or terms in name fields.
- If alias names were included on a card or if an individual’s name was listed with various spellings on the card, include all variants, separating each with the word Or. For example, if a name was written as "Georgios (George), George Broski, George Browzowski, or George Brzozowski," you would index the name fields as follows:
- Given Name: Georgios Or George
- Surname: Broski Or Browzowski Or Brzozowski
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality was written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the ò in Nicolò, please insert the character by clicking the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- If information was not crossed out but was replaced or was added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If an image shows more than one document, you may need to add records in the data entry area:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.