Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is to index a book of biographies of the pioneers and prominent men of Utah. The book was published in 1913.
- The biographies are alphabetized and are of pioneers who came to Utah “by wagon, hand cart, or afoot” between 1847 and 1868, from the first company of pioneers in 1847 to the coming of the railroad in Utah at the end of 1868.
- The book also includes the biographies of prominent men who came to Utah after 1868.
- Entries include the name and biographical details of the principal person—the oldest member of the family who came to Utah—as well as the names and many biographical details of family members up to the book publication date in 1913.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- All records are biographies.
- The biographies are in alphabetical order.
- Each batch includes one image.
- Each image contains multiple biographies.
- The default number of records in the data entry area is 15, but most biographical entries will have many more than 15 records to be indexed.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.