Project Home Page
About This Project
This collection contains arrival manifests on sheets of paper or cards from Laredo, Texas. The records are usually arranged in chronological order and consist of various Immigration and Naturalization Service forms. Most of the people whose vital information was recorded on the manifests were Mexican citizens, but the collection includes citizens of many other countries, such as Syria, Japan, and countries in Europe.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Description of This Project
- All records are manifests or related immigration or nationalization records, typed or handwritten on printed cards and other forms.
- Various formats were used for the records in this collection.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image includes just one manifest card or sheet, though sometimes an image will show the front and back of cards, and occasionally an image will show parts of several cards.
- Information will be indexed from the front of the cards only.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.