Project Home Page
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to marriages.
Characteristics of This Project
- All records are marriage records.
- When multiple images relate to the same marriage, index each image separately as its own record. Do not mark the successive images as duplicates or no extractable data images.
- When a single image has more than one document that relate to the same marriage, index these as a single record by finding the data for the record on any of the documents on the image.
- There are up to 20 images per batch.
Description of the Records
- Some of the records were handwritten with no set format, but most are handwritten on preprinted forms.
- There are registers with multiple marriages on each page. Index each separate marriage as a separate record.
- There are different, individual documents, that relate to the same marriage. These documents may be filed on separate, successive images. In these cases each image is to be indexed as a separate record even though they may relate to the same marriage.
- There are single images that have more than one document related to the same marriage together on that image. In these cases, index the entire image as only one record by finding the information for the fields on any of the documents on the image. Combination Image
- Overlays, normally small handwritten notes, are attached to many records. Click here to see instructions for how to index the overlays.
- There are no restrictions associated with this collection. The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help With This Project:
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register, download, and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password, Then, click the Download Batch... button, and select this project name from the list. You may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window to see the project name on the list.