Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here (current information and questions and answers about this project, updated as needed)
Characteristics and Description
- This project consists of confederate soldiers who died while prisoners of war or in military hospitals in the North.
- Records are typed on 11x8 plain paper by town and alphabetical order by surname.
- Each batch contains one image.
- Each image contains up to 50 names per image.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at 50 entry lines; however, some registers may have more or less than 50 records.
- If the register has fewer than 50 records and you have entered information for each record, then mark all remaining entry lines as blank in the data entry area. To mark an entry line as blank, press Ctrl+Shift+B, or do the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click Mark Field or Record.
- Click Mark Record Blank.
- If the register has more than 50 records, then add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the register.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on the register, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
Sharpen the Image
- If the image appears slightly blurry, you can adjust the focus for the image:
- Click the View menu, and click Sharpen.
- Click and drag the slider to select the amount of sharpening.
- Click OK.
Using the Ruler
- You may use the ruler to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- You can move the ruler and adjust its width. To do this:
- Position the mouse pointer over the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a four-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button while you move your mouse to drag the ruler to a new location on the screen.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When information was not crossed out but was replaced or was added to, type the most complete version of the card.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.