Project Home Page
About This Project
This project consists of card indexes, located at the National Archives, of remarried widows who applied for pensions because of the military service of their former husbands. The collection covers pension applications for service during the period from 1812 to beyond the American Civil War.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics
- The records in this collection were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- Each batch includes up to four images.
- Each image contains eight records.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.