Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
- The draft registration cards have two sides, but only the front has information to be indexed. Both sides of the cards appear on the same image.
- The location of information on the registration cards varies slightly. One major difference is that the third type has no information about the place of birth.
Indexing Spanish Names
- Most names in this project are Spanish names. Be aware of common Spanish titles or terms, such as Sr or Dn, and do not index them in any name fields.
- Type given names and surnames as they appear on the document, but do not include punctuation, except hyphens and apostrophes when they were written on the document as part of the name. Do not expand abbreviations or correct misspellings.
- The Spanish words "de," "del," "de la," "de las," and "de los" are called particles. They are part of many Spanish given names and surnames and should be included with the names when they are indexed. The particle should be kept with the part of the name that follows it. For example, "del Carmen" could possibly occur as a surname or as part of a given name, but the "del" and the "Carmen" should be kept together in either case.
- Spanish surnames often include two parts: the surname of the father followed by the surname of the mother. Both parts of the surname should be indexed in the Surname field.
- Not all surnames in this project have two parts, and you sometimes may have trouble distinguishing a name from a surname. If you are not sure whether a name is a given name or a surname, type it in the Given Names field. Below is a short list of names with the surnames in boldface.
Rafael Heliodoro Valle
José María del Carmen Herrera
José Gonzalez Campo
Fernando Ortiz y Fernandez
Leticia María Guerrero
Francisco Fernandez del Castillo
Oscar Miró Quesada y de la Guerra
Carlos Pardo-Manuel de Villena y Jiménez
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character that is not on your keyboard, such as the ò in Nicolò, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project. You may use the ruler, instead, to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
Language for Field Names and Project Instructions
- The indexing tool and the field helps, in the bottom-right corner of the indexing screen, are available in Spanish and English. To change the language:
- In the menu at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Language for Field Names box and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data-entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this resource, click the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).