Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is a card index to passengers arriving in Pennsylvania from 1800 to 1906. Cards were filed alphabetically rather than chronologically. Cards were usually either handwritten or typed on preprinted forms. In addition to the names and surnames of passengers, the cards typically include information about the age, sex, citizenship, and date of arrival of passengers as well as source information for the original records.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics
- This project is a card index to passenger lists for the port of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- The passenger index cards are handwritten or typed, often on preprinted cards.
- Each batch contains up to 20 images.
- Each image is of one card, with just one record to index for the card.
- No highlights are available.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.