Project Home Page
About This Project
- The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization made up of Union veterans of the Civil War.
- This collection consists of images of registers for the Grand Army of the Republic for the state of Pennsylvania. The registers contain information about the age, residence, and birth place of Civil War veterans. This collection covers the years 1866 through 1956.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign into the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- All records are membership records of the Grand Army of the Republic for the state of Pennsylvania, 1866 to 1956.
- The records are typed or handwritten on handwritten or printed forms, but the location of information on the forms varies over time.
- Each batch includes one image, and each image has up to 40 records.
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.