Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is a collection of over two million passport applications, from 1795 to 1925, created for individuals who had applied for a United States passport. In addition to the name and surname of the applicant, the applications may include information about the applicant's birth date, birthplace, spouse, and children.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program using your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births.
Description and Characteristics
- All records are passport applications, usually typed or handwritten on preprinted forms.
- The format of the applications often varies from state to state.
- Each batch includes up to five images.
- Each image is of one passport application.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.