Project Home Page
About This Project
This collection is a card index to pension files located at the National Archives. The pensions were awarded for service in the Regular Army, Navy, or Marine Corps between 1783 and 1861. Often the veteran applied for a pension, and later his widow or minor children also applied for a pension. The index was arranged in alphabetical order by the surname of the veteran or widow.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- The index was handwritten on printed cards.
- This project has one type of card.
- Each batch contains 10 images.
- Each image contains one record for a veteran, but the names of one or more dependents may be listed on the card along with the name of the veteran.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.