Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Characteristics and Description
- There are four sections on each form: military history, domestic history, home history, and general remarks.
- The records are handwritten on standardized forms.
- Most images have two records per image. Scroll to the right to see the second image.
Using the Ruler
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- You can move the ruler and adjust its width. To do this:
- Position the mouse pointer over the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a four-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button while you move your mouse to drag the ruler to a new location on the screen.
- To adjust the width of the ruler, position the mouse pointer at the top or bottom edge of the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a two-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button, and then move your mouse up or down to change the width of the ruler.
Number of Records per Image
- This project is set at 2 records per image. You may need to add entry lines in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If your image has less than two records, please enter any written record on the first record line and press Ctrl+Shift+B or use the middle tool bar icon (x with three squares) to mark the second record line <blank>.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the "ó" in Nicoló, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Read through the overlay to determine whether information that matches the type of information you are gathering in the project is found on the overlay (for example, additional information on a birth if you are capturing birth records). If the overlay has extractable information that matches the type of information you are indexing in the project, go ahead and index that information. If not, do not index information from the overlay; see step 3.
- Indexing the information behind the overlay:
- If the information behind the overlay is a duplicate of information that is fully shown on another image in your batch, do not index the information; see step 3.
- If the information behind the overlay seems to be unique and is not included on another image in your batch, index as much as you can see.
- If neither the overlay nor the information behind the overlay needs to be indexed for your image, mark the image as No Extractable Data.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher the handwriting.
- To access this resource, click the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).