Project Home Page
About This Project
- This is a collection of the admission records of soldiers living in the state home for soldiers in Ohio. In 1886 the Ohio legislation established the soldiers and sailors home that was opened to all Ohio veterans of wartime, United States military service, and to former members of the Ohio National Guard and Naval Militia. Applicants were unable to provide or care for themselves and had to be an Ohio resident for at least 5 years.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- There are four sections on each form: military history, domestic history, home history, and general remarks.
- The records are handwritten on standardized forms.
- Most images have two records per image. Scroll to the right to see the second image.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.