US, New York, Swann—Vital Records Collection, 1723–2009
Project-Specific Indexing Instructions
What to Remember as You Index This Project
- John Potter, the project manager, will answer any questions pertaining to this project. E-mail address: email@example.com
- If the information on a card continues on moren than one image, mark each additional image as No Extractable Data Image.
- Index only the principal’s name and principal’s spouse's names on each vital records card (all other names will not be indexed).
- When indexing a marriage event, the groom should be indexed as the principle individual. The bride's information should be indexed in the spouse fields.
- If a vital records card lists multiple spouses for the principal individual, index only the current or most recent spouse.
- If a vital records card lists dates for multiple events, index the dates for the most recent event only (which, in most cases, is the death year).
- If a vital records card lists multiple principal individuals (such as on a cemetery listing of multiple individuals), you should create and index a new record for each additional principal individual on the card. The principle on the card usually has both a birth and death date, and their name is written out on the top of the card.
- The vital records cards are generally sorted in alphabetical order by surname.
- If an individual’s name is listed with various spellings on a vital records card, include all variants, separating each variant with the word "or" in the indexing fields.
For example, if a name was written as Georgios (George), Broski, Browzowski, or Brzozowski you would index the name fields as follows:
Given Name: Georgios or George
Surname: Broski or Brozowski or Brzozowski
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area of the indexing screen is set at one record per image. If your batch includes images with more than one record, you will need to add entry records to match the number of records on the image. To add entry records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image....
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Because of the different forms found in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.