Project Home Page
About This Project
This project is a collection of passenger lists and lists of arrivals in New York from 1942 to 1957. The passenger lists are digital copies of the original records. The earliest records were handwritten pages. Later records were either handwritten or typed on preprinted forms. The records are arranged by the date of entry into port. In this project, all documents that contain names will be indexed, including passenger lists, crew lists, affidavits, and so on.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register, download, and install the indexing program, click here for the home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program using your user name and password. Then, click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projectsat the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics
- This project is to index passenger lists for the port of Maryland.
- Each batch contains one image.
- Each image includes multiple records.
- The passenger lists are handwritten or typed, often on preprinted forms.
- Some passenger lists have information that spans two pages.
- No highlights are available.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.