US, New England—Naturalization Card Index, 1791–1906
What to Remember as You Index This Project
- Index only the front of each naturalization card.
- The naturalization cards are usually in alphabetical order by surname.
- If multiple countries are listed in the Country of birth or allegiance field of the naturalization card, index all countries, separating each with the word "or." For example, if "Russia—Poland" was written on the card, you should index the Birth Country field as Russia or Poland.
- If the age of an individual was recorded instead of a birth year, do not index the age in the Birth Year field, and do not calculate a birth year based on the age.
- If a birth year was recorded for an individual but not the age, do not calculate an age based on the birth year and the naturalization year.
- If the naturalization was denied, be sure to still index the naturalization year if one was included on the record.
- If an individual’s name is listed on the naturalization card with various spellings, include all variants, separating each with the word "or."
For example, if a name was written as "Georgios (George), George Broski, George Browzowski, or George Brzozowski," you would index the name fields as follows:
Given Name: Georgios or George
Surname: Broski or Brozowski or Brzozowski
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.