Project Home Page
About This Project
- This collection consists of images of muster rolls of the United States Marine Corps located at the National Archives. The rolls are arranged chronologically by month, then by post, station, or ship. This collection covers the years 1798 through 1892.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign into the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics and Description
- All records are muster rolls of enlistment in the U.S. Marine Corp from 1798 to 1892.
- The registers are handwritten on handwritten or printed forms, but the location of information on the forms varies over time.
- Each batch includes one image, and each image has up to 40 entry lines.
- The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.