Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is a pilot or test project to help indexing volunteers understand how to index obituary projects. After the pilot is finished, indexing instructions, sample images, and other resources may be revised and enhanced for future projects.
- This is a collection of obituary clippings, funeral programs, and death certificates from Cascade County, Montana. The clippings are alphabetized and are from 1880 to 2002.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click Download Batch, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- All records are obituary and death notice clippings and index cards.
- The newspaper clippings are in alphabetical order.
- Each batch includes five images.
- Each image is of one obituary or cemetery index card.
- The default number of records in the data entry area is 11, but obituaries may have fewer than 11 or more than 11 records to be indexed.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.