Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project includes marriage records in the various formats such as:
- Records of Marriage
- Birth and death records may also be included in this record. Do not index birth or death records.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then, click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Sample Images of Marriage Records (To Be Indexed)
Sample Images of Birth Records (Not to Be Indexed)
Characteristics and Description
- Marriage records may be either handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
- Images may contain multiple marriage documents on each page.
- When a single image has more than one document relating to the same marriage, index the documents as a single record by finding the data for the record on any of the documents on the image.
- Images may contain a single document, such as a marriage license or certificate, with only one marriage recorded.
- When multiple images relate to the same marriage, index each image separately as its own record. Do not mark the successive images as duplicates or no extractable data images.
- When a single image has more than one document that relates to the same marriage, index these as a single record by finding the data for the record on any of the documents on the image.
- Images may include registers with multiple marriages recorded on each page, or a single document, such as a marriage license, with just one marriage recorded.
- Images may also include individual documents that relate to the same marriage. These documents may appear alone on successive images, or multiple documents may appear on the same image.
- Some records include overlays, which normally are small handwritten notes. Click here for instructions on how to index overlays.
- Batches contain up to 15 images.
- Each image may include one or many records.
Description of the Records
- Some of the records were handwritten with no set format, but most are handwritten on preprinted forms.
- There are registers with multiple marriages on each page. Index each separate marriage as a separate record.
- In some cases, multiple documents were written relating to the same marriage. These documents may be on successive images. In these cases, index each image as a separate record even though they may relate to the same marriage. Do not mark successive images as Duplicates or No Extractable Data Images.
- Sometimes, single images contain more than one document related to the same marriage. In these cases, index the entire image as only one record by finding the information for the fields on any of the documents on the image.
- Overlays, normally small handwritten notes, are attached to many records. Click here for instructions on how to index overlays.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.