Project Home Page
About this Project
- This project is a collection of vital records in Massachusetts from 1841 to 1920. The records are digital copies of the originals. The records were either handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births, marriages, and deaths.
Characteristics and Description
- This project includes records of births, marriages, and deaths.
- Records are typed or written on pre-printed forms and ledgers.
- Each batch contains between one and 15 images.
- Each image usually contains one register or one death record.
- Records were handwritten or typed on preprinted forms.
- Many styles of preprinted forms were used. Search each form carefully for the information for the various fields to be indexed.
- Many registers are on a wide ledger. At first glance, they may appear as two pages of records on each side. They are actually a list of records which extend across a two-page ledger. Most of the information to be indexed is found on the left side of the ledger. Be sure to scroll to the right to see both sides. The date is often on the top right.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to the digital images online once the collection is published.