Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If the image contains more than one record, you will need to add records in the data-entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If the image has fewer than one record, you will need to mark the unused records blank in the data-entry area. To mark a record blank, select any field in the record, and press Ctrl+Shift+B, or:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click Mark Field or Record.
- Click Mark Record Blank.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance by pressing Ctrl+F. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the record.
How to Index Ages
- Index only full years. If fractions of years were recorded, round down to the nearest full year. If less than one year was recorded, index the age as 0 (zero).
Highlights and Using the Ruler
- Because of the many forms in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that the ruler is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Select Show Ruler.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).