Project Home Page
About This Project
This project is a collection of passenger lists and lists of arrivals in Boston, Massachusetts, from 1820 to 1891. The passenger lists are digital copies of the original records. The earliest records were handwritten pages. Later records were usually handwritten on preprinted pages. The records are arranged by the date of entry into port. We are indexing the names of only the passengers who arrived at the port, not the officers or crew of the ships.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Description and Characteristics
- This project is to index passenger lists for the port of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Each batch contains one or two images.
- Each image includes multiple records.
- The passenger lists are handwritten or typed, often on preprinted forms.
- Some passenger lists have information that spans two pages.
- No highlights are available.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.