Project Instructions (Rev. 7/8/2013)
Read the Instructions (Rev. 7/8/2013)
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What is Unique About This Project
- On some of the records, information that should be indexed continues on the back of the cards. It includes parents' names, dates, and places. Please index the back of a card as a stand-alone record by entering data in as many fields as possible and leaving the remainder of the fields blank. Click here for an example.
- If more than one date appears on a marriage record, index only one date according to the following priority: marriage date, license date, consent date, recording date, and any other date.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If you have images with more than one record, you will need to add entry lines to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, select Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of Records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click Ok.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Because of the many forms in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To see the ruler:
- In the menu bar, select View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data-entry screen may help you decipher handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).