US, Maine—Delayed Returns for Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1670–1891
Project Home Page
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the Home Page. Then, click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the Indexing Home Page, and sign in to the indexing program using your user name and password. Then, click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show All Projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features. It is also helpful if volunteers understand the various documents that relate to births, marriages, and deaths.
Characteristics and Description
- This project includes records of births, marriages, and deaths.
- Records are on double-sided cards.
- Each batch contains up to 20 images and may include all three record types.
- Each image usually includes one side of one card.
- Records were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- Many styles of preprinted cards were used; search each card carefully for the information in the various fields that need to be indexed.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to digital images online once the collection is published.