Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What to Index
- Index the name of the person at the top of each form.
- Do not index other names on the forms.
Alias Names or Nicknames
- Some people in this project may have been known by more than one name. A clerk may have noted an assumed name or additional name by using quotation marks or parentheses or by writing "AKA," which means "also known as."
- To index a name that has one or more aliases, type the word or between each name. Do not type AKA, quotation marks, or parentheses in the indexing field.
- For example, if an individual's name is listed as "Joseph Broski AKA Joseph Browzowski (or Jozef Brzozowski)," you would type:
- Given Name: Joseph or Jozef
- Surname: Broski or Brozowski or Brzozowski
- Or if the clerk wrote a name such as "John (Buck) Harrison," you would type:
- Given Name: John or Buck
- Surname: Harrison
- Because this collection is structured alphabetically, some images may appear to be duplicates.
- If you think images are duplicates, look over the images carefully to ensure that they are exactly the same. Compare header information, names on the images, dates, and so forth.
- If images are duplicates, do the following:
- Index the image that is easiest to read.
- For other duplicate images, click in the Image Type field.
- Select Duplicate Image.
- On the warning message, click Yes.
- Finish indexing the other images in the batch.
- Submit the batch.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one record per image. If you encounter images with more than one record, you will need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- Highlights are available for this project.
- If highlights do not appear on the image:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Highlights. (When highlights are turned on, a check mark will appear next to Show Highlights.)
- The highlights may not always line up with the image because of variations in images. To adjust the highlights to fit the image:
- On the menu bar, click View.
- Click Adjust Highlights.
- Move the cursor over the image, and all highlights will appear.
- Adjust the highlights to match the image.
- Adjusting highlights may be difficult. One key to successfully aligning the highlights with the image is to first adjust the red outline to encompass the area where the fields are located. Click here to get more detailed instructions on how to adjust highlights.
- If the highlights still do not match the form, you may want to turn them off.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher difficult handwriting.
- To access this resource, click on the Handwriting Help icon (which looks like an inkwell with an orange feather quill).