Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
- The passenger indexed cards were usually filed in alphabetical order by surname.
- Titles and terms are not indexed in name fields.
- If alias names were included on a naturalization card or if an individual’s name was listed with various spellings on the card, include all variants, separating each with the word Or. For example, if a name was written as "Georgios (George), George Broski, George Browzowski, or George Brzozowski," you would index the name fields as follows:
- Given Name: Georgios Or George
- Surname: Broski Or Browzowski Or Brzozowski
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or locality was written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the ò in Nicolò, please insert the character by clicking on the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click on the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- If information was not crossed out but was replaced or was added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.