Project Home Page
About This Project
This project is a card index to passengers arriving at 70 ports along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. The port at New York City was excluded from this index. These cards are a rich genealogical resource. In addition to the names and surnames of passengers, the cards often include information about the passengers' age, sex, nationality, date of arrival, destination, port of entry, occupation, and marital status and the names of one or more people who accompanied them on the journey.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description of This Project
- All records are passenger list index cards.
- The index cards were typically handwritten, often on preprinted forms.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image is of one index card.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.