US, Indiana, Vigo—County Marriages, 1811–1959 [Part 3]
General Indexing Instructions
How to Index Places:
- When a place has been misspelled, spell it correctly.
- When a place has been abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup list for assistance. The lookup list does not include every possibility. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the record.
Blank and No Extractable Data:
- If an image is blank or contains a blank form, mark the document as Blank. If an image contains information that does not need to be indexed, mark the document as No Extractable Data. To do this:
- Click Edit on the menu bar.
- Click Mark Document As.
- Select Blank or No Extractable Data.
- Click OK.
- Click Yes on the warning message.
- Corrected or Crossed-Out Information:
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data into the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- If a <Required> field contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don’t know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank.
- If a field that is not required contains a descriptive word, such as "unknown" or "don’t know," press Tab to skip this field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials, abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- Ditto marks or similar signs of repetition may be found in several fields. If a field contains any of these signs, type the actual information from the above field.
- A lookup list is a collection of common names, places, races, etc., that can be used to help decipher a specific field. All fields that have a corresponding lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the column.
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup for the appropriate list for that field to appear.
- The lookup lists are not comprehensive. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the document.
Red Wavy Line:
- The red wavy line does not mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is okay.