Project Home Page
About This Project
Mexican War pension payment files were maintained by the Bureau of Pensions and the Veterans Administration for recording payments to veterans and their dependents from 1887 to 1926. Veterans and dependents received pension payments for service in the war and for disabilities that came from that service. This collection is an index to the pension files. The index was arranged in alphabetical order by the surname of the veteran or widow, beginning with American Indian names listed first under each letter of the alphabet. The last pensioned veteran died in 1905. Widows continued to receive pensions after that date.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics
- The records in this collection were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image contains one record.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.