US, Illinois, Chicago—Catholic Church Records, 1833–1910 [Part A]
Project Home Page
- This project includes three types of records:
- Baptism (includes baptisms and births)
- Burial (includes deaths)
Skill Level: Advanced
- This project is recommended for experienced volunteers who are comfortable with the indexing process, system features, and a variety of old handwriting styles.
- Since many of the forms are in Latin, it will be helpful if you are familiar with basic Latin terms.
- Although many of the images in this project are at the advanced level, many others are at the intermediate level.
Characteristics and Description
- This project includes church registers from many parishes in the Chicago diocese.
- The records were either handwritten or typed, and many were written on forms preprinted in Latin.
- Each batch generally has one to two images, with up to 50 records per image.
- Images may have either one or two pages
- No highlights are available for this project.
- When this project is published, the images may be viewed by registered users only.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.