Please Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
- The manifests were usually filed in alphabetical order by surname.
- In the Given Names and Surname fields, index only the name of the principal person listed on the arrival manifest. Do not index any other names that may appear on the form, such as the names of family members, friends, relatives, or customs agents.
- Titles and terms are not indexed in name fields.
- If alias names were included on an arrival manifest or if an individual’s name was listed with various spellings on the card, include all variants, separating each with the word Or. For example, if a name was written as "Georgios (George), George Broski, George Browzowski, or George Brzozowski," you would index the name fields as follows:
- Given Names: Georgios Or George
- Surname: Broski Or Browzowski Or Brzozowski
Indexing Dates and Ages
- If the age was not recorded for an individual, do not attempt to calculate the age based on other information on the manifest.
- Arrival manifests may include multiple dates. Index the most recent date in the Event Year field.
Back of Manifest Cards
- Only the front of arrival manifests contains information to be indexed in this project.
- If an image shows both the front and back of a manifest, index the front only, and ignore the back.
- If an image shows the back of a manifest only, mark the image as a No Extractable Data Image. Be sure to examine the image thoroughly to ensure that it does not include the front of a manifest.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- Names in this project may come from many cultures. If a diacritic or accent mark was used in writing a name on the record (such as the character used in writing the ç in Françoise), be sure to include the diacritic or accent mark in indexing the name.
- Be aware that names in the lookup list may not follow normal alphabetic rules.
- If the name of a person or locality was written with a character not on your keyboard, please insert the character by clicking the Enter special international characters icon (which is a square with an "ñ" in it) and selecting the character you want to insert, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information was crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When information was crossed out, was not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- If information was not crossed out but was replaced or was added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information was crossed out, was not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.