Project Home Page
About This Project
This collection is a name index to pension files held at the National Archives. The files relate to military service between 1861 and 1916. Most of the files are for soldiers who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, but the files also include records of soldiers who fought in the Spanish–American War, the Philippine–American War, and the Boxer Rebellion and those who served in the Regular U.S. military forces.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Description and Characteristics
- The records in this collection were handwritten or typed on preprinted cards.
- Each batch includes up to 20 images.
- Each image contains one record.
- Highlights are not available for this project.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer to help with this project. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.