Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project indexes many types of marriage records from county courthouses in Texas. The records were created from 1837 to 1977. Documents in the collection include marriage licenses, certificates, affidavits, registers, indexes, and so forth.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then, click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and are comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- All records in this project are marriage records.
- Most of the records were handwritten on preprinted forms.
- Images may include a single document, such as a marriage license, with just one marriage recorded.
- Images may also include individual documents that relate to the same marriage.
- Some records include overlays, which normally are small handwritten notes. Click here for instructions on how to index overlays.
- Batches contain up to 20 images.
- Each image may include one or two records.
- The completed index and links to digital images will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published.