Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Indexing the Records of Unnamed Individuals
- When no given name was listed for a deceased child, index the surname of the parent in the child's surname field. If two surnames were listed for parents, index the surname of the father.
- If a pseudonym was given for the deceased, such as John or Jane Doe, and no correction or update was entered on the death record, then enter the pseudonym in the Given Names and Surname fields. If no pseudonym was given, press Ctrl+B to mark this field as blank.
Highlighting and Using the Ruler
- Because of the many forms found in this project, highlights are not available. You may use the ruler instead to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.
- To move the ruler or adjust its width:
- Position the mouse pointer over the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a four-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button while you move your mouse to drag the ruler to a new location on the screen.
- To adjust the width of the ruler, position the mouse pointer at the top or bottom edge of the ruler bar. When the pointer turns into a two-pointed arrow, click and hold the left mouse button, and then move your mouse up or down to change the width of the ruler.
Number of Records per Image
- Each batch typically contains 10 images, with one record per image.
- You may need to add entry lines in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add entry lines:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If you press Tab or Enter after you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. If you have already indexed all the records on the image, do the following:
- Ensure that 0 (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
- Overlays are normally small handwritten or typed notes that cover part of an original record.
- When overlays are present, first index only the information found on the overlay as its own record. Then add an additional entry line in the data entry area, and index the visible information that was originally recorded as a separate record. If the original information is not readable or pertinent to the record type, mark the additional entry line as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- Many of these records are handwritten. The handwriting resource on the data entry screen may help you decipher the handwriting.
- To access this resource, click the Handwriting Help icon (an inkwell with an orange feather quill).