Project Home Page
From late 1917 to December 1918, during World War I, all non-naturalized males age 14 and older living in the United States who were natives or citizens of the German Empire or Austro-Hungarian Empire were required to register as alien enemies. As part of this registration, they filled out a form titled "Registration Affidavit of Enemy Alien." Beginning in April 1918, females age 14 and older—often including those who were married to so-called alien enemies—were likewise required to register, using a form entitled "Registration Affidavit of Alien Female." Registration affidavits were several pages long, but in this project, information will be indexed from the first two pages only.
Skill Level: Intermediate
- This project is recommended for volunteers who are familiar with the indexing process and comfortable using various system features.
Characteristics and Description
- This project includes registration affidavits of aliens living in San Francisco during World War I.
- The registration affidavits were handwritten on printed forms.
- Each batch has 30 images.
- Each image shows one page of a registration affidavit.
- The first and second pages of registration affidavits have information to be indexed in this project, but all of the information will be indexed with the record for the first page.
- Any image that does not include the first page of a registration affidavit should be marked as a No Extractable Data Image.
The completed index will be freely accessible online to the general public when the collection is published. The digital images will be accessible to active FamilySearch account holders once an authentication system is put in place on Record Search. Until authentication is available, the images will not be accessible.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.