Read the Instructions
- Please review these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
What to Remember as You Index Census Records
- The given name may be before or after the surname, and the name order may change from image to image, so be sure to index the names and surnames in the proper indexing fields.
- A widow’s name may be included in a record with a veteran's name, or it may be in a record without the veteran’s name.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at 14 records per image, but images may contain a single record or more than 14 records.
- If the image has more than 14 records, you will need to add records to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- If the image has fewer than 14 records, you will need to mark the remaining records as blank. To mark a record as blank, click on the record in the Image-Record column, and press Ctrl+Shift+B, or:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Select Mark Field or Record.
- Click Mark Record Blank.
Blank and No Extractable Data Images
- Do not index blank forms.
- If an image is blank or all forms on the image are blank, mark the entire image as blank.
- If an image contains only information that does not need to be indexed, mark it as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Click on the Header Data tab.
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Select Blank Image or No Extractable Data Image.
- Press Enter or Tab.
- Click Yes on the warning message.
- Finish indexing the rest of the images in the batch.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data in the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, is not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- If information is not crossed out but is replaced or has been added to, type the most complete version of the record.
- When the information is crossed out, is not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+U.
- When no entry on a record can be read, mark the entire record as unreadable by pressing Ctrl+Shift+U.