Project Home Page
About This Project
- This project is to create an index for the 1860 federal census. The census contains information about families and individuals residing in Alabama and Pennslyvania on June 1, 1860.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and to download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your username and password. Then click the Download Batch button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window.
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and systems.
Characteristics and Description
- This census was handwritten, often on preprinted forms.
- Each batch contains one image.
- Most documents are census forms.
- Each census page usually includes 40 records.
- Many images show two census pages.
- The general public can freely access the completed index and links to the digital images online once the collection is published.