UK, Kent—Register of Electors, 1825–1900
Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to these instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Indexing Parish Names
- Index the name of the parish as it appears on the record.
- The name of the parish was usually indicated near the top of the page or as a header of a new section. Parts of the parish name may have been reversed and separated by a comma for sorting purposes; for example, "East Dereham" may have been recorded as "Dereham, East." In this case, reverse the words, and index the name without a comma, as in East Dereham; otherwise, index the parish name as it was recorded.
- Some of the records in the UK, Kent—Register of Electors, 1825–1900 project have an asterisk (*) before the surname. This asterisk indicated that the person was not entitled to vote in parliamentary elections. Names marked with an asterisk should be indexed as part of this project, along with the other names listed on the register. Do not include the asterisk when indexing the name.
Blank and No Extractable Data Images
- Do not index blank forms.
- If an image is blank or all forms on the image are blank, mark the entire image as a Blank Image.
- If an image is not blank but does not contain a register of electors, mark it as a No Extractable Data Image.
- Click the Header Data tab.
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Select Blank Image or No Extractable Data Image.
- Press Enter or Tab.
- Click Yes on the warning message.
Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at 40 records per image. You may need to add records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- In the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- To help identify the number of records on an image:
- Click the Image Navigation tab in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click and drag the dark gray box with your mouse to move around to all areas of the image.
- If the image has fewer than 40 records, you will need to mark the unneeded entry lines as blank. To mark the lines as blank, click in a field on the entry line, and press Ctrl+Shift+B.
- Some records were damaged and are unreadable. When a record or part of a record is unreadable, mark the record or the field as unreadable, and continue to index the records or fields that are readable.
- To mark a field as unreadable, press Ctrl+U.
- To mark an entire entry line (a record) as unreadable, press Ctrl+Shift+U.