Project Home Page
Skill Level: Beginning
- This project is recommended for new volunteers who are still becoming familiar with the indexing process and system.
Characteristics of This Project
- This project includes three types of census forms (household, vessel, and institution.)
- Each batch contains one image.
- Each image usually includes up to 25 records.
- We are working with Find My Past to enhance the 1871 UK Census index. We are using their current published information as the basis for half of our batches to be indexed. Therefore, you will download many batches that will have information already indexed.
- We will be adding the following fields to their index:
- Condition (Marital Status)
- Declaring the census schedule type (household schedule, institution, and vessel.)
- Please verify the previously indexed information as you index the other fields.
- Note to arbitrators: The information from Find My Past is in the Key A column.
Description of the Records
- The 1871 UK Census is handwritten on printed forms.
- The three schedules usually contain up to 25 records.
How to Help with This Project
- If you have not already done so, you must register as an indexing volunteer. To register and download and install the indexing program, click here for the indexing home page. Click on Get Started, and follow the instructions on the page.
- After you register, click the Begin Indexing link on the indexing home page, and sign in to the indexing program with your user name and password. Then click the Download Batch... button, and select this project name from the list. To see the project name on the list, you may need to select Show all projects at the top of the Download Batch window