Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Account for Every Record on the Page
- Each census form usually has 46 entry lines. If an entry line on the census form is blank or has no data to be indexed, mark the record as blank in the data entry area. Be sure to mark the record as blank in the same order as it appears on the census form.
- To mark an entry line as blank, press Ctrl+Shift+B, or do the following:
- On the menu bar, click Edit.
- Select Mark Field or Record.
- Click Mark Record Blank.
- In some cases, the census taker may have written more than 40 records on a census form. If a form has more than 40 records, please add enough records in the data entry area to match the number of records on the image. To add records:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- Click in the Number of records box, and type the total number of records on the page.
- Click OK.
How to Index Places
- If a place-name was misspelled, spell it correctly.
- If a place-name was abbreviated and you can determine what the abbreviation stands for, type the complete name instead of the abbreviation.
- Use the lookup lists for assistance. If you are not sure what the locality should be, type the name of the place as it was written on the census.
How to Index Ages
- Index full years only. If fractions of years were recorded, round down to the nearest full year. If less than one year was recorded, index the age as 0 (zero).
- You may find ditto marks or similar signs of repetition on the record. If a record contains any of these signs, type the information from the previous record or field.
Highlights and the Ruler
- Highlights are not available for this project. You may use the ruler, instead, to follow a record across an image.
- If you choose to use the ruler, please be aware that it is not anchored to the indexing screen and does not automatically move as you move to a new entry. To use the ruler:
- In the menu bar, click View.
- Click Show Ruler.