General Indexing Instructions
Blank and No extractable Data Images
- To do this:If an image or form is blank, mark the image as Blank Image in the Image Type field. If an image contains only information that does not match any of the record types for this project, mark the image as No Extractable Data Image.
- Select the Header Data tab.
- Click in the Image Type field.
- Click on the down arrow at the right side of the field.
- Select Blank Image or No Extractable Data Image.
- Press Tab or Enter.
- Click Yes on the warning message.
- A lookup list is a list of names, places, or terms that you can use to help decipher the information for a specific field. All fields with a lookup list will have a down arrow at the right side of the field when you have selected the field for data entry
- Click the down arrow.
- Select Lookup...
- The lookup lists are not comprehensive. If the clerk wrote something that is not in the list, type what was written on the document.
Corrected or Crossed-Out Information
- When information is crossed out and then replaced, type the new data into the appropriate fields.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and can be read, type the crossed-out information.
- When the information is crossed out, not replaced, and cannot be read, mark the field unreadable by typing Ctrl+U.
- When every entry on a record cannot be read, mark the entire record unreadable by typing Ctrl+Shift+U.
- For a required field (a field that shows <Required> in the entry area): If a record does not include information for the field or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Ctrl+B to mark the field as blank.
- For a field that is not required: If a record does not include information for the field or if the information is given using a description such as "unknown" or "don't know," press Tab to skip the field.
- Do not type periods, commas, parentheses, or semicolons after initials or abbreviations, or between multiple levels of localities for any of the fields.
- You may find ditto marks or similar signs of repetition. If a record contains any of these signs, type the information from the previous record or field.
Red Wavy Line
- The red wavy line or colored background in the field does not mean that you made a mistake. It appears because the word you typed is not in the lookup list. This is OK. Double-check what you entered. When you are sure the information is correct, continue on to the next entry field.