Read the Instructions
- Please read these project instructions carefully before indexing any batches.
- Review this page and the field helps frequently for updates to the instructions.
- Click here for a summary of project updates.
Sample Images (This is not an all inclusive list.)
Language for Field Names
- The indexing field names and the field helps, in the bottom-right corner of the indexing screen, are available in Swedish and English. To change the language:
- In the menu bar at the top of the indexing screen, click Tools.
- Click Options.
- Click the Language tab.
- Click in the Application Language box, Language for Field Names box, and Language for Field Help and Project Instructions box, and select the preferred option.
- Close the data entry screen, and reopen the batch for the change to take effect.
Diacritics and Other Characters
- If the name of a person or a locality is written with a character not on your keyboard, such as the "ö" in Sjöberg, please insert the character by clicking the International characters icon (a square with an ñ in it) and selecting the letter you want to insert or by doing the following:
- In the menu bar, click Edit.
- Click International Letters.
- Click the letter you want to insert.
Number of Records per Image
- The data entry area is set at one entry line per image; however, some images will have up to 50 records. You will frequently need to adjust the number of entry lines to match the number of records on the image. To do this:
- On the menu bar, click Tools.
- Click Records per Image.
- In the box next to Number of records, type the number of records on the image.
- Click OK.
- After you complete the last record on an image, a message will appear asking if you want to add one or more records to the image. When there are no more records to be indexed:
- Insure that "0" (zero) is in the Number of records box.
- Click OK.
Indexing the First Record of a Batch
- When the first image of a batch begins with a partial record, start indexing at the first complete record. Click here for an example.
Indexing the Last Record of a Batch
- When the last record on the image is not complete:
- Be connected to the Internet and be working online.
- Click on View.
- Scroll down, and click on Show Previous or Next Image.
- Click the Next Image button that appears.
- Index the record while viewing both images concurrently.
- Click here to see an example.
Parish Names and Farms
- Determine the parish from which the data you are indexing was taken.
- Find the film number for the batch you are indexing. Click here to see where the film number is located on the indexing start page or the indexing screen.
- Click here to see a document that lists parish names by film number.
- Use the parish to narrow the list of farm names for that parish. Click here to see a document that lists the farms within each parish.
Help with Swedish